Re: Difficult antiderivative

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128858] Re: Difficult antiderivative
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 04:31:29 -0500 (EST)

On Nov 30, 2012, at 5:54 AM, Brambilla Roberto Luigi (RSE)
<Roberto.Brambilla at rse-web.it> wrote:

> ...I'm asking if there exist any general criterion
> (at least for simple combinations of elementary functions, as in my
examples) that tell us about the existence of antiderivative
> in the field of a set of chosen elementary functions.
> Can I add to this set other less elementary functions (like Pailev=E9
trascendentans) in order to catch the missing antiderivative?

You may wish to take a look at the article:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risch_algorithm

---
Murray Eisenberg
murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Lederle Graduate Research Tower            phone 413 549-1020 (H)
University of Massachusetts                               413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street                         fax   413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305