R: Re: Difficult antiderivative

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128868] R: Re: Difficult antiderivative
  • From: "Brambilla Roberto Luigi (RSE)" <Roberto.Brambilla at rse-web.it>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 04:34:50 -0500 (EST)

Dear Roland,

Many thanks for your suggestion, i.e. given the indefinite integral (antiderivative) with r<a :

1)  Integrate[ ArcCosh[a/x]/Sqrt[r^2-x^2],x]

(that Mathematica8 can't solve) change the variable x->a/Cosh[u].
Doing the substitution the integral becomes

2)  Integrate[ u Tanh[u]/Sqrt[q^2 Cosh[u]^2-1],x]

where q=r/a (r<a). Unfortunately also this integral is unsolvable by
Mathematica8 (unless q=1).

Alexei Boulbitch wrote (29 november) [mg128833]
most of indefinite integrals have this property ("does not exist") , and only smaller part of them can be expressed in terms of analytical and special functions.
For some integrals you can find the solution, for others you cannot, and no general rule exists that would help you to distinguish one group from the other.

Are (1) and (2) cases of this unhappy class?

Cheers to all, Rob