Re: V9 !!!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128913] Re: V9 !!!
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akozlowski at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 04:08:49 -0500 (EST)

Actually, seemingly "simple" functions, like finding the rank of a
matrix, are the ones that often benefit the most from a Kernel
implementation because they are so often used (sometimes on huge data).
Even then, it is useful to attract the students attention to issues of
efficiency and choice of algorithm. In fact, however,  the examples you
chose are far from simple. Take a look at, for example, the option
Method to NullSpace. There are actually three Methods
(CofactorExpansion,DivisionFreeRowReduction,OneStepRowReduction) and
each has advantages and disadvantages in different kind of situations.
Investigating this itself would make an interesting task for students
and, on the other hand, it would be rather too much to expect of users
to implement all these different methods themselves and then test them
to check which one works best for them. MatrixRank is also not so
"simple", for example, it works with SparseArrays, it has options such
as Tolerance etc.

I don't think you are seriously suggesting that we should give up all
this in order to provide more motivation to linear algebra students
rather than try to think ourselves of better ways of motivating them.

Andrzej

On 3 Dec 2012, at 17:15, Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu> wrote:

> Having a built-in function to do something, e.g., find rank of a
matrix, tends to discourage students when they are asked to build up a
function of their own that accomplishes the same thing beginning with
more basic operations. They just don't appreciate the value of the
exercise as a means to building and reinforcing their understanding.
Moreover, it becomes too easy for them to check whether their own
function works properly; without the higher-level function they formerly
had to devise test cases and check their function's results by hand.