Re: Interactively placing points onto 3D surfaces

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129006] Re: Interactively placing points onto 3D surfaces
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr357 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 01:29:16 -0500 (EST)

A clicking on a point on a 3D graphic would represent an infinite
number of points on the line extending straight back into the 3D
space.

One approach would be use intersecting orthogonal lines to designate a
point. You could rotate the 3D graphic as you adjusted the line
locations to help identify the specific point of interest.

Manipulate[
 Column[{Show[
    ParametricPlot3D[
     {Cos[u], Sin[u] + Cos[v], Sin[v]},
     {u, 0, 2 \[Pi]}, {v, -\[Pi], \[Pi]},
     PlotStyle -> Opacity[.5]],
    Graphics3D[{Thick,
      Red, Line[{{-1, y, z}, {1, y, z}}],
      Blue, Line[{{x, -2, z}, {x, 2, z}}],
      Green, Line[{{x, y, -1}, {x, y, 1}}]}]],
   StringForm["Point coordinates: ``",
    Dynamic[pt = {x, y, z}]]}],
 {{x, 0, "x (red fixed)"}, -1, 1, Appearance -> "Labeled"},
 {{y, 0, "y (blue fixed)"}, -2, 2, Appearance -> "Labeled"},
 {{z, 0, "z (green fixed)"}, -1, 1, Appearance -> "Labeled"}]

Dynamic[pt]

Bob Hanlon