Re: Terrible unit trouble in Mathematic 9

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129232] Re: Terrible unit trouble in Mathematic 9
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 13:14:45 -0500 (EST)

On 12/22/12 at 5:01 AM, murray at math.umass.edu (Murray Eisenberg)
wrote:

>This definitely seems to be an oversight (i.e., minor bug). What
>does work is:

>UnitConvert[Quantity[0.81, "Radians"], Quantity[1, "Degrees"]]

>And, curiously, the following works:

>UnitConvert[Quantity[0.81, "Radians"], "Grads"]

>(but the corresponding expression with "Mils" instead of "Grads"
>does not).

This is because Mathematica sees "Mils" as a measure of distance
not angular measure. That is:

In[1]:= UnitConvert[Quantity[1.0, "Inches"], "Mils"]

Out[1]= 1000.mils

My guess would be the issue with both "Degrees" and "Mils" is
there are multiple interpretations for these as units of measure.

Something that is missing from the implementation of units in
version 9 that would be helpful is the ability to list units
built-in for Quantity and UnitConvert and their definitions.