Input cells destroy Grids?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124701] Input cells destroy Grids?
  • From: Mark Green <p0073857 at brookes.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 03:49:48 -0500 (EST)

I'm trying to make a slide which will allow students to insert arbitrary numbers into a matrix multiplication, and have gotten this:

incel = {1, 2, 3, 4};
matrix = {{1, 0, 0, 0}, {0, 1, 0, 0}, {0, 0, 1, 0}, {0, 0, 0, 1}};
Style[Grid[{{MatrixForm[incel, TableDirections -> Row],
    ""}, {InputField[MatrixForm[matrix]], MatrixForm[incel.matrix]}}],
  FontSize -> 40]

It looks fine if I remove the InputField call, but with it in there, the input field takes up the entire width of the notebook, ignoring the fact there's supposed to be a grid cell to the right of it. Also, I have a feeling this won't work in FreeCDF because the input is of a matrix, not a number.

Is there a better way of doing this that inputs only numbers and that fits in a grid?