Re: Derivative of experimental data

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124712] Re: Derivative of experimental data
  • From: Yves Klett <yves.klett at googlemail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 04:53:29 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

The HPFilter works pretty well for some of my smoothing cases, too.
Probalby not helpful, but did you try supplying your own smoothing
parameter to the HPFilter function? At some version switch I had
problems with the automatically chosen parameter so I started supplying
my own values. The algorithm responds rather benignly to roughly chosen
(trial and error) values.

Another thing would be to try your hand at a frequency-based filter
(e.g. using FourierDCT and such).

Two commercial applications also come to mind, the EDA package
(http://www.wolfram.com/products/applications/eda/)  and (possibly
completely O.T.T. for casual use) DataModeler by Evolved Analytics.

I'd like to see some more state-of-the-art smoothing techniques
implemented into the standard functionality of Mathematica.

Regards,
Yves