Re: Simply but handy question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124845] Re: Simply but handy question
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 05:38:42 -0500 (EST)

I'm sure you will get many suggestions here.  Here is one possibility:

In[31]:= Y = {{a, b}, {0, c}}

Out[31]= {{a, b}, {0, c}}

In[32]:= testValue[0 | 0.] = 0

Out[32]= 0

In[33]:= testValue[_] = 1

Out[33]= 1

In[34]:= Map[testValue, Y, {2}]

Out[34]= {{1, 1}, {0, 1}}

But the key thing that you need to analyze with this and the list of
other ways of approaching this problem is which works the most
efficiently for the class of problems you want to apply it to.

--David