How add a menu item with a menu key using an init.m

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125096] How add a menu item with a menu key using an init.m
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 06:14:06 -0500 (EST)

I want to add an item to the Insert menu that executes a particular
kernel command and is activated by a particular shortcut key. And I want
to do this _without_ modifying and of the .tr files in
$InstallationDirectory/SystemFiles/FrontEnd/TextResources but only by
modifying files in the $UserBaseDirectory tree. (So that such changes
will be preserved across version updates.)

I know that in principle one can do this by creating (or editing an
existing) file:

   Autoload`PacletManagerConfiguration``FrontEnd``init.m

Here's what I put there:

   FrontEnd`AddMenuCommands["Input from Above",
      {Delimiter,Item["Options &Explorer",
       KernelExecute[ToExpression["OptionsExplorer[]"]],
       MenuKey["o",Modifiers->{Control,Command}],
       MenuEvaluator->Automatic]}];

But nothing happens after a restart of Mathematica with clean cache.

What's wrong? Did I err in indicating the Insert menu's entry "Item from
Above" referenced there? Or something else.

Note that the corresponding modification, instead, to MenuSetup.tr would be:

   Item["Options &Explorer",
      KernelExecute[ToExpression["OptionsExplorer[]"]],
      MenuKey["o", Modifiers->{Control,Command}],
      MenuEvaluator->Automatic]

(This is specifically to invoke Yuri Kandrashkin's OptionsExplorer
package. But of course my question has more general applicability.)

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305