Re: Executing a Notebook and saving the modified Notebook - all without the GUI

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125142] Re: Executing a Notebook and saving the modified Notebook - all without the GUI
  • From: Arturas Acus <arturas.acus at tfai.vu.lt>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 00:57:35 -0500 (EST)

Dear Mundi

Probably not exactly what you want, but may be you can use something
from below.

First of all to run graphical Mathematica programs like Plot from
command line you need to run vnc server

vncserver :1

Then You can use JLink in the following way

----------------- put into somefile.m --------------

whereIam = "/home/acus/";
$Path = Append[$Path, whereIam];
SetDirectory[whereIam];

Needs["JLink`"];
$FrontEndLaunchCommand = "mathematica -mathlink -display :1 -nogui";
arprisijungiau = ConnectToFrontEnd[];
Put[arprisijungiau, "testNon.txt"]

tempNotebookName = "test1.nb";
grMain1 = UseFrontEnd[Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, Pi}]];

If[tempNotebookName =!= "EvaluationNotebook[]", If[
(tmpNb = NotebookOpen[ToFileName[whereIam, tempNotebookName]]
) === $Failed, SetDirectory[whereIam];
tmpNb = CreateDocument[]; NotebookSave[tmpNb, tempNotebookName];
SelectionMove[tmpNb, After, Notebook];
NotebookWrite[tmpNb,
 CellGroupData[
Prepend[(Cell[{ToBoxes[#]}] & /@
{grMain1, grErr1, grStep1,
rezults}),
Cell["Parameters {\[Lambda],\[Mu],g,a}: " <>
ToString[
Evaluate[
NumberForm[#, {3, 4}] & /@ N[{\[Lambda], \[Mu], ggg, aa}]]]=
,
"Subsection"]], Open]];
NotebookSave[tmpNb];
PutAppend[tempNotebookName];
PutAppend[rezults, tempNotebookName];
NotebookClose[tmpNb, Interactive -> False];,
CellPrint /@ {grMain1, grErr1, grStep1}]]

Then simply:

math < ./somefile.m > outIfYouWant.txt

So, you need:
1. vnc server
2. configure to connect front end using JLink.
3. To use UseFrontEnd[] for graphical commands and
4. properly print cells for nice output to the notebook your are working
with.

Of course, "simple" is not so simple.

Sincerely, Arturas Acus

Kt, 2012 02 23 05:46 -0500, C. Mundi ra=F0=EB:
> Surely there is a "simple" way to tell Mathematica from the command
> line to run a notebook and save the state of the notebook!
We would have hoped for something like "mathematica.exe --nogui --notebook