Re: beginner question regarding units in equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123948] Re: beginner question regarding units in equations
  • From: W Craig Carter <ccarter at mit.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 02:29:47 -0500 (EST)

I feel compelled to put in my 2 cents worth on this topic.  I hope that
I am barking at the choir here, but perhaps a student might be
listening.

Every year in my set of materials science and engineering lectures, I
try to emphasize that the *first* thing a student should do when
performing a calculation is "non-dimensionalize, non-dimensionalize,
non-dimensionalize."  This is a minority opinion in engineering.  It is
never correct to take the Log or the Sine of a dimension. *Every* ideal
spring can be written as F/(k xo) = 1 - x/x0 = 1-xbar, the
characteristic frequency of any harmonic oscillator should be normalized
by dividing through by Sqrt[k/m] (or its equivalent) and so on.

There is no physics in units---only relative quantities.  The units
packages are useful for determining if a quantity has been
non-dimensionalized when formulas extracted from texts, etc.

For example, this avoids frustrating errors that appear when, for
example, FindFit[data,Exp[-a (x-b)^2],{a,b},x] when data might be
student scores centered around 500:

W Craig Carter
Professor of Materials Science, MIT