Re: Mathematica on tablet computer

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124011] Re: Mathematica on tablet computer
  • From: Andre Koppel <akoppel at akso.de>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 05:58:30 -0500 (EST)

Am 03.01.2012 11:24, schrieb ¦erých Jakub:
> I hope, that my queestion is not too much off topic for this group.
>
> I'm planning to buy tablet PC (or netbook). My first candidate is ASUS Transformer Prime, but the problem is, that until now it is sold only with Android OS (it is promised, that it shall be sold with MS Windows 8 in the near future).
>
> As a teacher I don't need any massive computation, but I realy do need Mathematica running on that device. I would like to ask group members if they have any personal experiences with Mathematica on such devices (tablet PCs or netbooks running Windows or Linux (not MacOS)).
>
> The second question is for group members from Wolfram: Is Wolfram planning to sell also Android version of Mathematica in the future? If not, would it be teorethicaly possible to run Mathematica on Windows 8 running on ARM processor platform?
>
> Thanks for any responses in advance
>
> Jakub

Hi ¦erých,
as far as I know Mathematica only runs on PC- and MAC-Architechture.
Even Android is based on LINUX (Mathematica runs on PC-Linux),
it is build on several different Microprocessor-Architectures. They
aren't supported by Mathematica. I think it wouldn't be a deal for
Wolfram to make a version that runs native on Android. There would be an
additional big problem on tablets: They did not have enough
power to run such a big application.
But a very good working alternative is using the Wolfram-Alpha-App (and
all the other wolfram-apps) on an android device.
These apps do only provide a user-interface for input and output, all
the computation is done on the wolfram-servers. This means
you do need a working internet-connection. But if you have one, its
quite a good alternative

Kind regards
Andre