Re: Default sort of vector is by "complexity" of expression!!?????

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124043] Re: Default sort of vector is by "complexity" of expression!!?????
  • From: danl at wolfram.com
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 05:17:22 -0500 (EST)

One has to have some default ordering. The relevant criterion in the reference page for Sort states "Sort usually orders expressions by putting shorter ones first, and then comparing parts in a depth-first manner." As best I recall, it checks length and goes to subparts in case of tie.

I see nothing particularly bad about this default ordering, I might add. In particular I do not know what badness the example provided is meant to convey.

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research