Column widths in Grid

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124045] Column widths in Grid
  • From: ADL <alberto.dilullo at tiscali.it>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 05:18:05 -0500 (EST)

I have a problem I was not able to solve.
I have a Grid with a header row and the grid is quite long and
scrollable, so that I would like to keep the headers always visible.

I thoght to dived the header and the data into two panes, like below:
  header = Grid[
    {
      {"#", "Title A", "B is another title"}
    },
    Frame -> All
  ];

  table = Grid[
    {
      {"AA-BBB-10002", 3.2, 0.1},
      {"ZZZB-1002", Indeterminate, 0.002}
    },
    Frame -> All
  ];

  CreateDocument[
    Column[
      {
        Pane[header],
        Pane[table, Scrollbars -> True]
      }
     ]
  ]

In order to make this work I need to know the width of each column of
"table" and impose it on the corresponding columns of header. Note: I
cannot use uniform widths.

Now, my problems are two:
1) AbsoluteOptions or AbsoluteCurrentValue do not seem to work on Grid
objects
2) The options Scrollbars -> True and Scrollbars -> False change the
size of the Pane, so that adapting the table to the Pane does not seem
to work either.

Did anybody face the same problem and found a solution?

Thanks

ADL