Re: SortBy won't order irrationals

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124102] Re: [mg124028] SortBy won't order irrationals
  • From: Christopher Young <cy56 at comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 03:16:07 -0500 (EST)

OK, but that's not the behavior I'd expect, and it's something that has
to be watched out for constantly. For example, if we use SortBy, I think
that after all the functions have been applied to the list, we're stuck
with this sorting  by complexity of expression unless we remember to
apply N to every element of the list together with each of our other
functions.

On Jan 6, 2012, at 5:46 PM, Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:

> Numeric symbols like Sqrt[2],Pi,E  etc.  etc are not sorted by their
value but in the same way as all other symbols. Compare: