Re: The domain parameter of Reduce[]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124163] Re: The domain parameter of Reduce[]
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 04:26:32 -0500 (EST)

Manifestly, the result of the first Reduce, namely,

   a > 0 && b > 0

is correct whereas the result of the second Reduce, namely,

   a > 0 && 0 < b <= a

is wrong. For example,

   Re[-1 - Sqrt[a - b] /. {a -> 1/4, b -> 1/2}]

has value -1 even though b > a.

But I don't know why adding the domain Complexes works, because I've
never understood the documentation for Reduce as to exactly what is mean
by "doing the Reduction over" a specified domain.

The documentation seems to suggest by means of examples that what this
means is that the equalities and inequalities are allowed to hold in
that domain -- rather than that the variables involved are restricted
to, or allowed to range over values, in that domain.

But I don't think the docs actually come right out and say that. (An
all-too-common shortcoming of documentation.)

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305