Re: Plotting a line with color changing as a function of position

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124263] Re: Plotting a line with color changing as a function of position
  • From: Dan <dflatin at rcn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 17:15:37 -0500 (EST)

It turns out that there is a capability that will do just what you
want, ColorFunction. Look it up in the online help for more
information. Here is an example:

Module[{x1 = 0, y1 = 0, x2 = 10, y2 = 10, m, b},
  m = (y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1);
  b = (x2*y1 - x1*y2)/(x2 - x1);
  Plot[m*x + b, {x, -1, 11},
    ColorFunction -> Function[{x, y}, Hue[Cos[Norm[{x, y} - {x1,
y1}]]]],
    ColorFunctionScaling -> False,
    PlotStyle -> Directive at {Thickness[0.01]}
  ]
]

In order to vary thickness or dash interval I think you will have to
build the plot through construction. Thickness could be managed with
the Filling option for Plot using two curves.