Re: Can't use subscripted variables in function definition?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124271] Re: Can't use subscripted variables in function definition?
  • From: Armand Tamzarian <mike.honeychurch at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 04:49:45 -0500 (EST)

I should clarify that a bit because it was written in haste. Firstly I
meant SubscriptVariable[NewContext`x, NewContext`i] but this isn't
really a proper solution but reason I mentioned it was because if you
have x_j and you want that to be a single symbol you run into problems
if x or j or both are set to some other global value. With x_j and
then x=2 you don't want 2_j you still want x_j returned. Symbolize
addresses this but the point of the original comment is that is it
nowhere near as straight forward as the other product to work with
subscripts.

Mike