Re: Derivatives Output as TraditionalForm

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124496] Re: Derivatives Output as TraditionalForm
  • From: "Oleksandr Rasputinov" <oleksandr_rasputinov at hmamail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 05:20:47 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 06:50:29 -0000, mathgroup  <fizzymath at knology.net>
wrote:

> The following code was offered in a Wolfram Blog to make Derivatives
> print
> out as they would be written with pencil and paper rather then
> f^(0,1)[x,y] for example....which is standard Mathematica output....here
> is the code(written by Simon, I think was his name).....the original
> Blog had a Wolfram program  pdConv ...however, you had to apply it  to
> each expression whereas this code , once run, does it throughout the
> Notebook....
>

> Derivative/:MakeBoxes[Derivative[inds__][g_][vars__],TraditionalForm]:=ToBoxes[Apply[Defer[D[g[vars],##]]&,Transpose[{{vars},{inds}}]/.{{var_,0}:>Sequence[],{var_,1}:>{var}}],TraditionalForm]
>

> I have 2 Questions....
>
> (1)  Why isnt this code standard within Mathematica rather then having
> to be  Coded by the user?....I used to do all this with Format  which
> was a Royal Nightmare by comparison.........I have never seen what
> purpose  this output   f^(0,1)[x,y]   served.......or does it???

The notation Mathematica uses is less commonly seen but there is nothing
especially non-standard about it. If you don't like it, you can change it,
as the code example demonstrates. As for why Mathematica doesn't use the
more typical notation in TraditionalForm output, I don't know for sure,
but I would hazard a guess that it is so that TraditionalForm can be
re-interpreted into StandardForm without having to be littered with
InterpretationBoxes to clarify the ambiguous notation. Implementing such
features is not free, of course, so maybe WRI took the view that their
time was better spent doing other things.

> (2)   Second....if I want to modify this code to get output  as
> df/dx   rather then  df[x,y]/dx, ,  for example  ,  how do I change it?

Derivative/:MakeBoxes[Derivative[inds__][g_][vars__],TraditionalForm]:=ToBoxes[Apply[Defer[D[g,##]]&,Transpose[{{vars},{inds}}]/.{{var_,0}:>Sequence[],{var_,1}:>{var}}],TraditionalForm]