Re: MatrixForm odd behaviour

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124512] Re: MatrixForm odd behaviour
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 07:23:16 -0500 (EST)

On 1/21/12 at 5:19 AM, roby.nowak at gmail.com (roby) wrote:

>One can argue a thousend times or even more that MatrixForm is for
>display purpose only. On the other hand the user majority (is this a
>democratic process ?) would like to have the possibility to use
>MatrixForm or a similar "Wrapper" in calculations. The strange and
>funny thing is that matrices entered by <Insert><Table/ Matrix><New>
>provide a Form similar to MatrixForm which can be used in
>calculations. We just neeed a Wrapper for Display which should be
>ignored for calculations, this would ease many things. So the only
>thing we need is a simple way to apply the fuctionality provided
>from matrix input menu to Mathematica matrix expressions, may be
>this exists allready and I just missed soemthing ?

The "wrapper" you want exists currently. MatrixForm is a wrapper.

Doing

(mat = RandomInteger[{1,100},{5,5}])//MatrixForm

or

MatrixForm[mat = RandomReal[{1,100}, {5,5}]

will make mat a matrix from Mathematica's perspective and result
in a nice display. All you need do is be aware of operator precedence.

Even better from my perspective is to set your output cell
display preference to be TraditionalForm. Then all matrices will
display nicely without further effort on your part or creating a
problem of usage in further computation.