calculating with vectors of variable length

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124585] calculating with vectors of variable length
  • From: Benjamin Hell <hell at exoneon.de>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 07:08:44 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
I'd like to work with vectors of variable length. A short example would
be this:
a = {a1,...,an}
f[x_]:=a.x
The vector x should be treated as a vector {x1,...,xn} and n should be
variable and not be specified prior to any calculations.
One possible calculation would be:
D[f,x3]
which should give a3 according to the definition of f above.

How can I implement that in mathematica?

Thanks in advance,
Benjamin