Re: GramSchmidt function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124621] Re: GramSchmidt function
  • From: "Oleksandr Rasputinov" <oleksandr_rasputinov at hmamail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 06:08:23 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 08:24:21 -0000, Andie S. <freefalling779 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I am having trouble creating a function gramSchmidt[vList] to
> construct an orthogonal basis for a list of vectors, vList.
> any pointers on how to do this? Thanks!

My suggestion is to avoid it altogether. You can use Mathematica's own
Gram-Schmidt code as follows:

Orthogonalize[vList, Method -> "GramSchmidt"]

(other Methods are "ModifiedGramSchmidt", "Reorthogonalization", and
"Householder". In older versions of Mathematica, GramSchmidt and
Householder are top-level functions in the
LinearAlgebra`Orthogonalization` package.)