Re: case of inconsistent API between Drop and Part?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127121] Re: case of inconsistent API between Drop and Part?
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 04:10:27 -0400 (EDT)

On 6/30/2012 7:16 AM, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
> On 6/30/2012 6:26 AM, Fred Simons wrote:
>

>> There IS a single command:
>>
>> Delete[lis, {{2},{4}}]
>>

> Using version 8.04. the above does not work for me, please
> see below
>
> ----------------------
> Clear[a,b,c,d,e];
> lis={a,b,c,d,e};
> Drop[lis,{{2},{4}}]
> -------------------------

Opps, I saw after sending this that you changed the command
to Delete. I tried your new RHS on my notebook with my earlier
command which had Drop and did not notice you changed the command
also. Was running fast.

As I said, I know this can be done in other ways. I have
documented 5 different ways to do this already, not using Drop.

But my question was not how to do it in other ways, but
that Drop did not have the same syntax as Part. That is all.

Thanks,
--Nasser