Re: Approximate Zero Times A Symbol

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127143] Re: Approximate Zero Times A Symbol
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at eecs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 05:27:22 -0400 (EDT)

On 6/30/2012 8:35 PM, djmpark wrote:
> You look on Mathematica as a programming language (which it is in a way) but
> I look on it as a "piece of paper" on which I can do, write and communicate
> mathematics.

I don't disagree with that generally,  and most computer algebra systems look that way, with a "document" paradigm lurking somewhere.

I think where we disagree is to what extent a system that is designed at a particular time by a particular group of people, and is more or less bound to some backward-compatible notions and design guidelines can be expected to do encompass everything and anything that someone else can envision.

I think that the best chance for success is for the system to do the mathematically correct thing whenever that can be unequivocally determined. Sometimes called the principle of "no surprises".

Even so, such a system cannot do everything for everyone, since there are disagreements about matters in which there are several distinct approaches. Mathematicians, to a surprising extent, deal with ambiguous situations and notations. Context is quite important.

In these situations it helps to have a programming language in which each of the competing camps can define particular approaches.

In a situation where you'd like to obtain something that does not fall automatically out of the system in the most obvious way, you can argue that the system should do what you want done,  or you can do the programming.

Arguing that the system should do what you want can best  be done if what you want is unequivocally the right thing.  That is, mathematical correctness demands it.  A good but weaker, argument is that what you want can also make it easier to do the alternatives at that point  (one thought is that the programming language should also be nicely designed, and the representation should be elegant, compact, versatile, etc.)

A common line of complaint about CAS is that (for some user with a specific notation and computational viewpoint) the CAS does not do exactly what that user expects.  Changing the underlying mathematics should be considered if the underlying mathematics is wrong.   I don't know about simplifying 0.0* x,  but it seems to me your requirement of knowing the coefficient of x is simple enough to program.  But maybe I've misunderstood your requirement.