Re: Evaluate code fragment without making new cell for it?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127182] Re: Evaluate code fragment without making new cell for it?
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 03:33:58 -0400 (EDT)

On 7/3/2012 2:48 AM, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:

> But I use Manipulate alot, and you can't split Manipulate
> into cells.

I forgot to add other cases where I was not able to split things
into different cell. This is when I use a Module[]. It has to
be in all in one cell on its own. Also a Block[]. Actually it
seems anything that starts with a [ and ends with a ]  can not
be broken into different cells. Also can't break a list into
different cells. That all seems logical to me.

So if one has a large Module[], then to evaluate a code fragment
that sits in the body of the Module, one needs to copy it out
into its own cell to do that.

Not a big deal, I do that alot, but I thought it would
have been easier if I could just select that code by the mouse
and evaluate it as if it was on its own cell without having to
physically copy the code to a new cell.

Many replied to me to suggest the use of Ctrl+Shift+Enter which
is the same as EVALUATION-IN-PLACE option from the menu. This is
not the same as what I wanted.

 From the replies I got so far, this seems like it was not a very
good feature to incorporate into Mathematica fronted. Therefore, I
would like to officially request the withdrawal of this feature
request.

thanks,
--Nasser