MathGroup Archive 2012

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: retina display

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127175] Re: retina display
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 06:12:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@mail-archive0.wolfram.com
  • References: <jstkte$k6l$1@smc.vnet.net> <jt0rp7$1gq$1@smc.vnet.net>

On Wednesday, July 4, 2012 12:36:07 AM UTC-7, Dominik Hezel wrote:
> You can always change the display resolution to another setting while Wolfram readies a version that is fit for the Retina display.

Specifically, you could try to choose a scaled resolution in the system preferences that is higher than the recommended one. That way everything will at first appear _smaller_ on the screen. Next, you would undo that shrinkage in Mathematica by choosing a Magnification larger than 1 in the Window menu or the Advanced preferences. That way you _may_ be able to get rid of some of the excessive blur. I actually wasn't able to try that yet because our Mathematica site license just expired so I wasn't able to install it on a new retina display machine. So I'd be interested to hear if this idea works in principle.

However, any change in the resolution away from the default _will_ degrade the speed with which graphics and text are rendered. For example, if you run a Screen Sharing connection, the response of the remote server to mouse movements seems dramatically more sluggish with non-standard screen resolution on a local Retina display machine. So ultimately the only real solution will be to wait for Wolfram to fix this, so we can run the computer at its default resolution.

This may be a big problem because as far as I can tell, the Mathematica GUI code still relies at least partly on the old Carbon framework which appears to be incapable of running in high resolution mode. There hasn't been much time to learn about the new displays, so I may be wrong...

Jens

• Prev by Date: Re: Evaluate code fragment without making new cell for it?
  • Next by Date: Re: Evaluate code fragment without making new cell for it?
  • Previous by thread: Re: retina display
  • Next by thread: how to export to Excel in Mathematica from a Parametricplot command