Sending an interrupt to the frontend?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127227] Sending an interrupt to the frontend?
  • From: W Craig Carter <ccarter at MIT.EDU>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 00:40:50 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Mathgroup,

This is a question about frozen frontend behavior.

In development stages, one of my frequent mistakes is to send the
frontend something that takes forever to dynamically update---at least
that is what I believe what is happening for most of the "freezing"
occurrences.  For MacOs, this is often signaled by a "Formatting
Notebook Contents" window.

I wonder if anyone has found a method to send the front end a message to
stop dynamically updating while in an unresponsive state?  I've various
versions of kill -s signal  (i.e., signal = INT) from a terminal in
MacOSx, but never with success.

I suppose that having the front end query the operating system for
interrupt requests would create a lot of overhead.  However, I wonder if
a method to force the frontend to make an operating system query with a
user-specified time interval might be possible?

W Craig Carter