Re: switching axes in Plot?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127347] Re: switching axes in Plot?
  • From: windlessaegis at gmail.com
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 03:51:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Wednesday, February 11, 2009 5:20:58 AM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:
> When using Plot to plot F[x] as a function of x, Mathematica automatically
> assigns the independent variable x to the horizontal axis and the dependent  variable F[x] to the horizontal.  I often want to switch this around so that the independent variable runs on the vertical axis and the dependent on the horizontal.  I feel sure there ought to be a simple way to tell Plot to make this change but I have never found it and instead have resorted to convoluted approaches.  Can anyone tell me what the simple trick is, if it exists?
> Thanks
> John Finnigan

Hi,

I just found this looking for the answer myself.  Then it hit me: try changing the order that you define the variables within the plot operation.

So as an example, given:

ContourPlot[
 Evaluate[Re[
   Product[x + I y - (a + I b), {a, -2, 2}, {b, -2, 2}]]], {x, -3,

To swap axes, just define y and then x -- like this:

ContourPlot[
 Evaluate[Re[
   Product[x + I y - (a + I b), {a, -2, 2}, {b, -2, 2}]]], {y, -3,