Re: Options to know shape of functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127393] Re: Options to know shape of functions
  • From: "djmpark" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 23:44:00 -0400 (EDT)

I don't think there are any such off-the-shelf routines in Mathematica.

But this is a common situation. You will often have to write your own
routines, using basic Mathematica routines, to do things you want. If you
have a single variable function I guess you would have to find the poles and
zeros, the turning points and the second derivatives at the turning points
and then put all this material together in an organized table, say. Also, is
the function allowed to be discontinuous? Of course, it might also help to
plot the function over various domains and with various scales. One could
imagine functions which would have a quite difficult verbal, table or
graphical representation.

So make it a project. Plunge in, write some routines with the kind of
functions you are thinking of and see if you can make something nice. You'll
get added experience with Mathematica and mathematics.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net

From: Prashant [mailto:prashant.ch at gmail.com]

Hello All,

Are there inbuilt functions in Mathematica that help us know the shape of a
univariable function (i.e. Concave, convex, quasiconcave,quasiconvex)?
Usually, when cannot be proved analytically, we use numerical experiments to
see for these shapes of functions. We can write a user defined code to do
these, but does Mathematica provide such inbuilt predicate function?

Thanks,