Re: Mathematica as a New Approach to Teaching Maths

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127472] Re: Mathematica as a New Approach to Teaching Maths
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 04:58:56 -0400 (EDT)

Of course this has been tried at both secondary school and college levels.

For a start, browse to http://www.wolfram.com/support/learn/ and click
the "Education" pane on the right, then select the level.

Over a number of years I've had quite a bit of experience of teaching
non-traditionally with the aid of Mathematica, by myself and in concert
with colleagues. The results were mixed, owing primarily to two factors:

  (1) Such an approach was not what the students were accustomed to
experiencing. They could no longer merely fall back upon doing mindless
calculations following rote procedures but rather had to think. And
consequently...

  (2) The courses were considerably more difficult for many students
than the traditional versions.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305