Re: Manipulate a Plot of Evaluate DSolve

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127513] Re: Manipulate a Plot of Evaluate DSolve
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 22:15:57 -0400 (EDT)

Your input wasn't working even without the Manipulate.  Always best to test (and, if necessary) debug things outside of a Manipulate, if for no other reason than to simplify the problem you're trying to debug.

In this case, your input is a mess of redundancies.  I'm not really sure how you arrived at the extra list braces and the redundant rule for y.  But here's what you wanted:

func[coef_] = DSolve[y'[x] == Cos[coef*x], y, x]

Manipulate[
 Plot[Evaluate[y[x] /. func[coef] /. C[1] -> {Range[-5, 0]}], {x, -10,
   10}], {{coef, 1}, 0.1, 5}]

In summary, the Evaluate in your example didn't trigger because it wasn't the head of Plot's first argument.  But beyond that, nothing would have plotted anyway because of the many nested lists and the confusion over the extra unnecessary rule replacement in your function definition.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group