Re: Memory Blowup Issues

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126754] Re: Memory Blowup Issues
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 04:51:08 -0400 (EDT)

On 2012.06.03. 11:03, Ralph Dratman wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> Thank you for passing along those tips. I usually put $HistoryLength=1
> and also turn off "Enable Notebook History Tracking" in the
> Preferences dialog -- though I'm not sure the latter makes any
> difference.

Hello Ralph,

"Notebook History Tracking" only affects what is saved with the notebook
you are working with, but it does not affect how the kernel works or
what it keeps in memory (i.e. doesn't appreciably affect memory use).
This option will simply record the times at which who have created or
edited each cell.  If you open a notebook file with a text editor,
you'll see this information in the CellChangeTimes options.

Turning it off will slightly reduce notebook sizes and makes version
tracking much more convenient.

--
Szabolcs Horvát
Visit Mathematica.SE:  http://mathematica.stackexchange.com/