Re: Converting from string to real

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126785] Re: Converting from string to real
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 05:20:22 -0400 (EDT)

On 6/6/12 at 4:53 AM, fcaleyo at gmail.com (fcaleyo) wrote:

>Hi guys, I've got a problem with ToExpression[]. It seems to round
>large real numbers off, e.g. ToExpression["109266.75"] returns
>109267., still a real, yet not exactly what the original string
>meant. Any idea to solve this? Many thanks fcaleyo

This isn't as you describe. By default Mathematica *displays*
real numbers rounded to six significant digits. But the value
used by Mathematica is not rounded in that manner. This can be
seen by the following:

In[3]:= a = ToExpression["109266.75"]

Out[3]= 109267.

In[4]:= RealDigits[a]

Out[4]= {{1,0,9,2,6,6,7,5,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0},6}

You can set your preferences so that Mathematica displays either
more or less significant digits f you are so inclined.