Re: Can Mathematica do regression, or similar?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126810] Re: Can Mathematica do regression, or similar?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 03:39:48 -0400 (EDT)

_No_ program can "figure out the relationship" between a response
variable and given predictor variables. But Mathematica can certainly
find a linear model fit with multiple predictor variables -- provided
that's an appropriate model for you to use. The function LinearModelFit
does this.

Perhaps your data are such that you really want some nonlinear model.
You specify the form of the model (as a function of the predictor
variables) and then use NonlinearModelFit to let Mathematica determine
the parameters of the model.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305