ToString Awkwardness

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126848] ToString Awkwardness
  • From: "Kevin J. McCann" <kjm at KevinMcCann.com>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 04:55:34 -0400 (EDT)

I have several plots with annotation that includes parameter values. I
am using ToString inside a Text command to do this, and all is well
unless the values are small so that the results are in scientific
notation. When this happens, I get something like this:

"f(x) = " <> ToString[8.71 10^-15]

f(x) =        -15
        8.71 10

Which is a bit awkward looking in the plot. Upon further investigation,
I looked at the FullForm of the above and got:

"f(x) =        -15\n8.71 10"

So, I see why the output "looks funny". The exponent is treated
separately from the 10. Any suggestions for nicer looking output?

Thanks,

Kevin