Re: Memory Blowup Issues

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126863] Re: Memory Blowup Issues
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 05:30:54 -0400 (EDT)

On 10/06/2012 07:16, Richard Fateman wrote:
> On 6/8/2012 12:37 AM, Bill Rowe wrote:
>

>> This almost certainly won't happen with Mathematica. BASIC was
>> designed to be a beginner's programming language. Mathematica is
>> designed to be a very powerful mathematical toolset.
>
> I think that Wolfram's ambition is/was that Mathematica's underlying
> language (without the "Math" stuff) would be recognized as the ideal
> blend of programming features and esthetic melding of design for all
> purposes, including introductory programming, typesetting, web design,
> parallel computation, etc.
>
> It hasn't happened.

Algol, Algol68, Pascal, C, C++, Ada Java, Lisp, Prolog - all were touted
as ideal programing languages at one time or another!

After 30+ years in the software industry, I think I can confidently say
that there is no ideal blend of programming features, because
programmers and their projects vary so much.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk