Re: Can someone read these line "aloud"

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127053] Re: Can someone read these line "aloud"
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 04:09:26 -0400 (EDT)

On 6/26/2012 1:48 AM, McHale, Paul wrote:
> Can anyone help me with proper Wolfram "lingo"?
Oh, I just checked ..  my current Mathematica has a Speak[]
command which you could use for guidance.  e.g. -> is pronounced "goes to"
  However,

Speak[A*(B + C*(D + E) + F)]

and

Speak[A*(B + C*(D + E + F))]

sound the same.

also
Speak[f[x&&y,z]
Speak[f[x,y&&z]

sound the same.

So  Mathematica's Speak is apparently inadequate. (version 8)

My experience in this area comes from writing program to LISTEN
to speech that denotes math.  That is input to programs like
Mathematica from a microphone. (one example being a mobile phone).