Re: Importing RTF

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127049] Re: Importing RTF
  • From: Helen Read <readhpr at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 04:08:03 -0400 (EDT)

On 6/26/2012 4:51 AM, mike at necomp.us wrote:
> I have the latest version of Mathematica. I'm just starting to use it
> and have pages that are set in Word with MathType equations. I have a
> program that will convert the math to PowerMath equations so I ran it
> through that. I then saved the file as RTF. When I import the file,
> the bold and italic is stripped out but color changes came through
> (which I don't need). Any ideas on what could be wrong. Also, is
> there a better way to import Word files with MathType equations?
> Right now, with the conversion an equation such as A+B will be
> converted to the Powermath equation [&A+B&] and I would rekey what's
> in the [&&].

If you have a relatively recent version of Office (2007 or newer for
Windows, 2008(?) or so for Mac), you might try using Word's built-in
equation editor instead of MathType. I find it to be at least as good,
if not better, than MathType, and it has the advantage of using MathML,
which Mathematica understands natively. You can copy-as-MathML from
Mathematica directly into Word, and copy Word equations directly into
Mathematica. I haven't tried importing Word files into Mathematica, but
I would hope/expect it to suck up the MathML.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont