Re: Approximate Zero Times A Symbol

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127072] Re: Approximate Zero Times A Symbol
  • From: Christoph Lhotka <christoph.lhotka at fundp.ac.be>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 04:02:43 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

My argumentation would be as follows:

  0 x = 0  if (0,x) have infinite precision, while 0. x = 0. since the
result has a precision at most of 0.,
therefore there is no need to keep the x, which has infinite precision:
for the expression we only
need x up to precision of 0., therefore 0. * approximate x = 0., which
is true up to the precision
of 0.

If I understand well, what you would like to have and if it only
concerns the format it is printed,
I would define:

dis[ex_]:=Plus@@({x,y}*(StringTrim/@ToString/@(PaddedForm[Coefficient[ex,#],{8,8}]&/@{x,y})))

which would give

dis/@{0.x+1.y,0.34324324324324324324324x+1.000000000004y}
{0.00000000 x+1.00000000 y,0.34324324 x+1.00000000 y}

Hope that helps,

   Christoph