Re: Extracting Information from XBRL Files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127092] Re: Extracting Information from XBRL Files
  • From: Gregory Lypny <gregory.lypny at videotron.ca>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 04:52:38 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Hans,

This looks cool, and it is very kind of you!  I'm going to dissect it and run some tests.  I have, in fact, downloaded to CIKs using FinancialData[].  I flag the missing ones, double-check for those where the ticker symbol may be ambiguous, and then manually gather those from EDGAR by searching for ticker or company name.  With the CIKs, I download the text of the companies main page from EDGAR (the one that lists the documents available) and extract the US state location and US state of incorporation, which are variables in my research.  Your function will help me learn to drill down through the documents.  Good stuff!

No matter where this goes, you have earned an acknowledgment on our research paper!

Regards,

Gregory

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012, at 4:51 AM, Hans Michel wrote:

> Greg:
>
> Try
>
> processSECDEF14A[ticker_] :=
>  Module[{cik, paddedCIK, urlfullpath, searchResults, textOnlylinks,
>    top1linkfromList, formDEF14A}, cik = FinancialData[ticker , =
"CIK"];
>   paddedCIK = IntegerString[ToExpression[cik], 10, 10];
>   urlfullpath =
>    "http://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/srch-edgar?text=CIK%3D"; <> paddedCIK =
<>
>     "+TYPE%3DDEF&first=1994&last12";
>   searchResults = Import[urlfullpath, "Hyperlinks"];
>   textOnlylinks =
>    Select[searchResults, Function[StringMatchQ[#, "*.txt"] == =
True]];
>   top1linkfromList = First[textOnlylinks];
>   formDEF14A = Import[top1linkfromList, "Plaintext"];
>   Return[formDEF14A];
>   ];
>
> The following Module will return raw text file from the SEC website =
for the
> last available Form DEF 14A.
>
> This file contains SGML, HTML and uuenconde jpgs or gifs or pdfs.
>
> I tried
> processSECDEF14A["GE"]
> and
> processSECDEF14A["MSFT"]
> with success.
>
> The code need to be tighter for when cases fail. And Parsing the HTML
> between <TEXT> </TEXT> tags is left for review.
>
> The bulk of the data mining for key terms such as "Summary =
Compensation" and
> look for the HTML Tables near those terms.
>
> Hans

XML.