Re: Book

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127106] Re: Book
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 05:19:41 -0400 (EDT)

On 6/29/2012 3:53 AM, Mat' G. wrote:
> Hi all,
> which book do you advice to learn and use Mathematica 8 in the field of
> physics and engineering?
> Thanks for advising!
> Mat

You'll probably get many suggestions on this one.

When I took a course at UCI in computational physics,
we did everything in Mathematica. (HW's, Projects, final
exams). Everything was done using notebooks.

We used the instructor's own Mathematica book, which is here
http://mathematicahandbook.com/  (it is an ebook, comes
in notebooks you can run directly and see the examples, all
actual Mathematica code)

The standard version is only $30. It has many examples
and it is meant directly for physics and engineering.

(I got the full version, also got a printed version for
extra charge, and it is well over 1,000 pages) and was
worth it.

If you like to get an idea of the type of problems we did in
the class using Mathematica, here is my physics class web page

http://alturl.com/qyfos

Other than this, I recommend the documentation center in
Mathematica itself :)

btw, there is a large note with full of links to many
Mathematica learning resources at stack exchange Mathematica
forum, you might want to check, called

"Where can I find examples of good Mathematica programming practice?"

here is the link to it http://alturl.com/adih8

--Nasser