Re: Mathematica 4.1 and Windows 7 compatibility

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125234] Re: Mathematica 4.1 and Windows 7 compatibility
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 05:34:05 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 07:25:58 -0500 (EST), Jon Harrop wrote:
> Does anyone know if Mathematica 4.1 runs reliably on Windows 7?
>
> Cheers,
> Jon.

The first big hurdle is whether you can get it installed or not.  Back in the
day, the installer was a 16-bit Windows program.  If you're using a 64-bit
version of Windows, I think it might be very difficult to even get the installer
to launch (requiring third party emulation, which I'm not sure is conveniently
obtainable).

I would have, out of morbid curiosity, tried it just to see, but all of my
Windows systems are 64-bit.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com