Re: Plotting colorfunctions over multiple parametric curves

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125238] Re: Plotting colorfunctions over multiple parametric curves
  • From: Andrew Green <kiwibooga at googlemail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 05:35:29 -0500 (EST)

Sorry if this post appears twice, after  24 hours and it not appearing I assumed I had done something wrong while posting.

Thanks Bob. I tried what you said (see under), but the colorfunction does not seem to be scaling the potential function. For instance assigning the potential function to (1 + theta) will give all red as it seems to be clipping to the 0 and 1 levels.

n = 3;
XYR = ( {
    {-2.1, 0, 1.0},
    {0, 0, 0.5},
    {2.1, 0, 1.0}
   } );
x[i_] := XYR[[i, 1]];
y[i_] := XYR[[i, 2]];
r[i_] := XYR[[i, 3]];

potential[theta_, i_] := theta + 1.0;
circle[i_, theta_] := {x[i] + r[i]*Cos[theta], y[i] + r[i]*Sin[theta]};

Show[Table[
  ParametricPlot[circle[i, theta], {theta, 0, 2 Pi},
   PlotStyle -> Thick, Axes -> False, ImageSize -> 200,
   ColorFunction ->
    Function[{x, y, theta},
     ColorData["TemperatureMap"][potential[theta, i]]],
   ColorFunctionScaling -> True], {i, 1, n}], PlotRange -> All]

Anymore thoughts ?

Thanks

Andrew