Interactive image cropping is extremely slow

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125422] Interactive image cropping is extremely slow
  • From: Szabolcs <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 03:06:11 -0500 (EST)

Take a screenshot of your full screen, paste it into a notebook, right click the image and choose `Crop Image...`.  This operation is *extremely slow*.  On this Windows machine it literally takes 10 seconds for the cropping UI to appear with such large-ish images (yes, I timed it with an 1366 by 768 image).

I'd consider this a bug.

Question 1: Has anyone implemented a custom version of this that performs well?  Would you be willing to share it?

Question 2: If I implement it, is there an easy way to integrate it into the context menu specifically for images?  (The context menu is different for each type of object).

Question 3: Is this so slow on other platforms as well, or is it a Windows-specific problem?