Re: Symbolic tensor analysis in Mathematica 8

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125515] Re: Symbolic tensor analysis in Mathematica 8
  • From: "Dave Snead" <dsnead6 at charter.net>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 02:48:41 -0500 (EST)

Bring in the notation package by typing
<< Notation`

This will bring up the Notation Palette.
Choose Symbolize from the palette and put your subscripted v1
as the argument.  Mathematica will consider this as distinct from v
and will not recurse.

For functions, type
vx = f[x, y, z]; vy = g[x, y, z]; vz = h[x, y, z];

Derivative is
D[{vx, vy, vz}, x]

Cheers,
Dave Snead