Wolfram Alpha Query in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125557] Wolfram Alpha Query in Mathematica
  • From: "Hobbs, Sylvia (DPH)" <sylvia.hobbs at state.ma.us>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 04:53:26 -0500 (EST)

Maybe I'm missing something but I had imagined that since the Wolfram Alpha query in Mathematica could clearly access the most recent 2010 US population statistics aggregated by state that I would be able to access a municipal or even county population lists through a alpha query for use in Mathematica as I can in other statistical packages without going all of the way and importing from the census bureau. It would be nice if  a Wolfram Alpha query in Mathematica could directly access something similar to a customized census ACS profile query like this: http://mcdc1.missouri.edu/acsprofiles/acsprofilemenu.html. Also, again maybe I am missing something and there may have been some misunderstanding or miscommunication about the product, but I had thought that new Statistical component of Mathematica Version 8 had a GIS that could create maps like SAS but I am finding that Mathematica does not have a true GIS capable of creating shapefiles.  Is a GIS anticipated in some future r
 e!
lease of the Mathematica statistical component? I hope it is already there and I am just not finding the code in the documentation....

Sylvia Hobbs