Re: Different Color in ToString

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125625] Re: Different Color in ToString
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 05:51:50 -0500 (EST)

On 3/21/12 at 5:44 AM, scolwell at uoguelph.ca (Scott Colwell) wrote:

>Does anyone know how to change the color of the font in a ToString
>command.

>For example, in the following, the text should be blue, but the
>number 3 should be red.

>n = 3;
>Text[Style["There is "<> ToString[Style[n, Red]] <> " numbers here", Blue]]

This cannot do what you want for two reasons. First, the command
ToString outputs black strings and undoes the effect of
Style[n,Red]. And even if this did what you wanted you compose a
string by string joining all the pieces then set the style of
this new string to blue. So the result will be a blue string.

Look at the output of this which I think does what you want

Grid[{{Style["There are ", Blue], Style[n, Red],
    Style[" numbers here", Blue]}}, Spacings -> 0]