Re: Trouble with MathKernel

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125649] Re: Trouble with MathKernel
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 00:16:44 -0500 (EST)

I'm going to assume the setup was the same with Mathematica 7 as for
Mathematica 8: the kernel executable is hidden inside the Mac package
/Applications/Mathematica.app.

If you right-click (or Ctrl-click) on that item in Finder, select Show
Package Contents. In the new Finder window that opens, look at

   Contents/MacOS/MathKernel

That's the executable you actually want. So, for example, if you type in
a Terminal command line:

   /Applications/Mathematica.app/Contents/MacOS/MathKernel

then you'll get an interactive command-line session. And if you have a
file batch.m of legitimate Mathematica expressions, then the following
_will_ work:

   /Applications/Mathematica.app/Contents/MacOS/MathKernel <batch.m
 >batch.out

(assuming your current directory is the location of batch.m, of course).

Now just either add
/Applications/Mathematica.app/Contents/MacOS/MathKernel to your PATH or
make an alias for it in the directory where you're working (or some such
thing).

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305