Re: Is there SphericalListPlot3D?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125709] Re: Is there SphericalListPlot3D?
  • From: "djmpark" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 03:04:29 -0500 (EST)

Ted,

Why don't you make a 2D contour plot vs. latitude and longitude? You could
possibly map this to the oval shape that is often used, for example to show
the cosmic microwave background. (I'm not certain of the name and
transformation for this off hand, but I'm sure its readily available.)

That kind of plot is easy to view and would be familiar to most viewers. It
does have the advantage that it shows the global picture.

It is also possible to make a 2D contour plot and then map it to a sphere. I
have routines for doing this in the Presentations application, but you could
probably work it out fairly easily. A contour plot on a sphere is nice, but
it does have the problem than one can't see the entire global picture at
once. Maybe a combination of the two types of plots?

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net

From: Ted Sariyski [mailto:tsariysk at craft-tech.com]

Hi,
I have two related questions.

1. I have a discrete set of data, {{n1,rad1},{n2,rad2},...}, where n1,n2 are
unit vectors (directions) and rad1,rad2,... are scalars. How can I plot rad
on the unit sphere?

2. I would like to triangulate the sphere based on the solution {rad} so
that the mesh is denser where the rad is higher.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.
Thanks,
--Ted