Re: Typesetting in Mathematica (TraditionalForm typesetting?)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125700] Re: Typesetting in Mathematica (TraditionalForm typesetting?)
  • From: Brentt <brenttnewman at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 03:01:21 -0500 (EST)

Thank you, I've been using LaTeX for a few years now (before I began
university), and feel pretty confident in it. I use emacs when using LaTeX,
which has all kinds of keyboard shortcuts, so I have all kinds of shortcuts
and keyboard tricks when using it but I've found it very cumbersome to use
in any sort of quick and dirty way even when defining commands for oft used
commands.

And on top of that, when taking notes in class, I find it much harder to
absorb the meaning of the equations while typing LaTeX code, so some WYSYWG
of Mathematica is nice.  I have actually found Mathematica very near
adequate, but there are just a couple of these minor issues. It's so close
to be adequate it's almost frustrating that it is not completely adequate
given it seems like it could be if there were just a little more easy
customizability of the notebook..

I'm just experimenting right now but I've been thinking it doesn't seem all
that more efficient to type say \int_{a}^b f(x) dx  than esc int esc ctrl+_
a ctrl+b  f(x) dx The number of key presses are comparable. Output of
course is not near as nice as LaTeX but it is passable.

I've been looking into Lyx too. I'm really experimenting trying to figure
out which would be best. Maybe mathematica won't work out so well, but it
seems so close.